Summer Saving Tips to Soften the Blow to Your Pockets
Thinking about a summer getaway? Unfortunately, summer can be an expensive time of year. Whether you’re looking to take the kids on holiday, want a summer break for you and your other half, or just want to be out and about, everything seems to cost money. However, cutting costs during summer doesn’t have to mean cutting corners.
Here are our top savvy summer saving tips to follow. Make sure you follow these tips & tricks – you’ll be left with more money and will still have a great holiday or stay-cation!
- Use price comparison sites for hotels. Sites such as Trivago and TravelSupermarket allow you to compare prices for hotels at the click of a button. This way you know you are getting the best possible price for your hotel of choice. You don’t want to get ripped off. Shopping around means you assess all options and choose the best price! Remember to clear your browser cache before searching. Sometimes you can be presented with a higher price if you’ve already been searching for that hotel. Irritating, but true!
- Find the best currency rates. Different currency bureaux’s will charge different rates. With the exchange rate being so poor at the moment, it’s essential you look around. This is how to get the best deal for your money. Avoid waiting until you get to the airport to change your money, as these bureaux’s will often charge a higher rate. They know when you’re at the airport, they are your only choice. Owing to this they can charge more, as there is no other option.
- Book travel insurance in advance. One of the main reasons for travel insurance is to protect against situations that prevent you from going on holiday. This can include illness or cancellation. If you wait until the last minute to purchase travel insurance and something happens that prevents you from going on your trip, you will not be covered. Make sure you buy travel insurance a good couple of months before your holiday.
- Eat In. More and more people are turning to self-catered holidays. If you’re a savvy food shopper this can really cut costs. Even if you’re not going on holiday, why not invite friends over for a dinner party or picnic instead of going out to eat, it’ll be much kinder on your pockets.
- Use Vouchers. If you’re doing a stay-cation this year, why not try to cut costs using vouchers. Lots of attractions have deals or vouchers available in tourist booklets that can be picked up for free in hotels or restaurants. Whether it’s kids go free, or 25% off, all these savings add up and mean you could go on twice as many excursions using the money you saved!
- Fly off-peak. Flying on a weekday and out of school holidays will always be cheaper. If you don’t have children, avoid travelling during the school holidays as it will always be more expensive. Flying off-peak also means resorts are likely to be quieter, definitely a win!
These are just some of the ways you can save this summer. There’s plenty more out there. Mention us on social media with your top saving tips and we may feature your advice next time!
Check out more in depth guides at in our financial guides section.